Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Are you kidding me?

Last night it was getting close to bedtime and I noticed something different about Addison. She has been trying to let her bangs grow out and has been wearing her hair pulled back. There was a little wisp of hair hanging down and it wasn't hanging all down in her face. Now how could that be? Her bangs have gotten quite long.

Me: Addison, did you cut your hair?

Addison: No. (said with a you're-so-dumb-attitude)

Me: Come here and let me look at your hair.

She comes into the bedroom. I look at her hair and all of her bangs are short.

Me: Did you cut your hair?

Addison: No.

Me: Are you sure? Your bangs are much shorter than they used to be.

Addison: Noooo. (all indignent like) I didn't cut it.

Me: Well, it used to be this long (pulling a piece out that she missed) and now it's only this long.

Addison: I diiiidn't cut it! (moving on to whiny)

Dax: Did Morgan cut it while you were at her house today?

Addison: I don't think so.

(hmmm.)

Me: Did she cut it while you were in the swimming pool or maybe after you got out?

Addison: Not that I remember.

(Yeah, I know.)

Me: Did you somehow lose consciousness in the pool and while you were out Morgan might have cut your hair?

(yes, I'm that kind of parent)

Addison: I don't think so.

So I'm thinking here that she can't possibly believe that she's going to get away with not knowing how all the hair across the front of her very own head got cut short. I mean, I know I overlook a lot of the little lies that they tell so that they won't spend time perfecting their technique and I might have a slight advantage through the teen years, but I really can't let this one go.

Me: You know, it's obvious that you have cut your hair. You should know by now that if you keep up with the lies you're going to get into a lot of trouble. I'm not necessarily mad at you for cutting your hair but you should have told me that you wanted it cut. Now, did you cut your hair?

Addison: (stage direction: Don't answer yet. Wait until you can work up some tears first. Should be much more effective. Then very softly say) Yes.




On the bright side, she actually did a pretty good job. They're pretty straight and not too short. I just have to do a little touching up. Really, not bad for a 10 year old. I'm thinking she shouldn't try it again. You know, end on a high note and all.




You can see the piece she missed hanging in front of her eye.

And, she even told me this evening that she was looking at it and that she thinks she did a good job (if she does say so herself.)

No comments: