Saturday, November 21, 2009

11 years ago today

I woke up in the morning not feeling well. I had been up several times during the night to give myself another bolus from the terbutalene pump.

I had been going over my allowed four contractions per hour for much of the night.


To make matters worse, every square inch of my body was itchy. And it wasn't an itch that I could scratch and make it feel better. It's like I itched on the inside where I couldn't get to it.


But, it was a Saturday and there were errands that needed to be taken care of so I sent Dax (although he was reluctant) off to take care of them. (I had been confined to bed in the hospital for seven weeks at this point.)


Anyway, Dax left and took care of the must-do errands and got back to the hospital as quickly as he could. I still didn't feel well, though.


Sometime after lunch my parents dropped by the hospital to visit. As they did more days than not.


Then a short time later my brother and sister-in-law stopped by to visit too. My parents were still there.


Dax was starting to get a little upset because people were showing up to visit and I still wasn't feeling well.


Then, to upset him even further, my in-laws stopped by with my sister-in-laws boyfriend in tow.


Dax was about to lose his mind by then.


I still didn't feel well. All of the medications had been unable to get my contractions back in line. They had put in a catheter because my bladder was full, causing more contractions, and I couldn't get it empty on my own.


They finally made the decision to move me up to labor and delivery with the assurances that they would get the contractions stopped and get me back down to my regular room.


When they got me to labor and delivery the nurse gave me a shot of Demerol.


Then the doctor on call came in to check on me and again assured us that everything would be fine. They'd get things under control and back to my room in not time at all. She said that we would probably go through this whole process several times before we actually made it to delivery.


Then she actually checked my cervix.


That's when things really felt like they got crazy!!


I was already feeling the effects of the Demerol and then she told us that I was dilated to 8 cm already and that the babies were coming. And sooner rather than later.


They called my regular doctor (she wanted to do the delivery), whisked me off to the operating room, and gave Dax some scrubs to change into.


When my doctor arrived I had already gotten the epidural so that she could come right in and get the job taken care of.


(I thought it was pretty funny that because I had been in bed so long and because one of the babies was being pushed so far down into the birth canal that my legs wouldn't both stay on the operating table. Every time they put one leg on the table, the other leg fell off of it. They finally tied them together with towels. lol)


The babies were delivered at 9:30, 9:31, 9:31, and 9:32 p.m. The nurses showed them to me as they whisked them away to the NICU.


Everyone was healthy and it was kismet that everyone had shown up at the hospital when they did. When we found out that they were coming, nobody would have been able to get to the hospital before they were born. God works in mysterious ways.

No comments: