Saturday, August 11, 2012

Country Living

We live in the country. And, really, it's great most of the time. It's quiet and eliminates a lot of the problems that you can have if you have neighbors close by, especially if they're neighbors that you don't get along with.

But it also has its drawbacks.

Last week Dax was out of town at a conference. One morning one of the dogs was outside and kept barking and wouldn't come in when I called her.

So I went out to see what she had found.

Say hello to my little friend.....

Okay, he's not really my friend. I hate snakes!!

He was curled up behind the A/C unit, probably for the water. It's really dry around here.

And then, a couple of nights ago, two of the dogs were in the backyard barking and one of them in the house was whining to go out (which he almost never does.) Dax and I were in the middle of a conversation while this was going on and I had to stop him and ask if he smelled anything.

He just thought I was nuts (as usual) but when I opened the back door to let the dogs in the aroma of skunk was overwhelming!!

Then, Abigail told me that Kuddles was out front. When she came in, the aroma of skunk was overwhelming inside the house.

Nnnnnooooo!

I had the girls go lock her up in her kennel before she got close to any of the furniture. But the whole house smelled awful.

I don't know what smelled worse, though. The skunk, or the mass amounts of air freshener that Kirsten sprayed in her room trying to cover the smell. When the other kids would walk in there we could hear them complaining that there was so much air freshener that it was burning their eyes.

On the bright side, I don't think the dog actually got sprayed. I think she was just close enough to get a lot of stink on her.

Then, we get up in the morning, and on our way out of the drive notice that someone has been through again smashing mail boxes. Gaahhh!! We used to try to by decent ones, but we don't anymore. We're getting tired of replacing them so now we just buy whatever is cheapest. But this time they totally destroyed the post it was on too. I guess it's back to square one.

No comments: